Monday, January 16, 2017

Poster Project Alternative

Just like every other teacher I know, my goal is not only to teach the content of my course, but also to prepare my students for the next level as much as possible.  Sometimes in the pressure of making sure students are prepared for THE TEST at the end of the year and that we teach all the standards of our courses, we lose sense of the bigger picture and forget that for our students leaving our class is not the end.  Next year they will move on to something else.  Whether that next step is the next grade/course, a job, or college is irrelevant.  The point is, for our students the class we teach is not the end but is merely a stepping stone on their path.  With that in mind, I have intentionally focused this year on making assignments that prepare my students for the next step.

I have discovered over the last several years that while we assume our students are technology savvy, most of mine are not.  Anything that is not a social media app that runs through their cell phones seems to be out of their realm of experience.  I don't know if my students are the exception, but they seem to struggle with figuring out how to manipulate new programs.  With this in mind, knowing that many of my students will be going on to college and job opportunities that require the ability to figure out how to manipulate new programs, I decided that this was an area I needed to address in my class. 

This week in Honors Advanced Algebra we tackled a project that required students to make an infographic using a web-based program that was unfamiliar.  Prior to beginning the project I discussed the motivation for the project with my students and explained my reasoning for requiring them to use a program with which they were unfamiliar.  I also made a sample for my students and posted it in my room so my students had a visual of what an infographic looks like.  My students rose to the challenge, which I'm very excited about.   The assignment, as well links to a few samples are linked below.  This project was designed as a summary of transformations of cube root functions, but it could be easily modified for a different function type.  Also, my sample infographic was based on square root functions so that students could view a model, but they could not simply copy and paste my work.  







No comments:

Post a Comment